Friday, September 9, 2011

Sweets of Seasons Past

Here are some of the desserts and sweets that I have made in the past.  In the future, I hope to do individual posts for the things that I cook.




Cranberry Rice Krispies Tuxedo Chocolate Bars
Cranberry Rice Krispies Tuxedo Chocolate Bars:  I made these for an office holiday cookies & sweets exchange that I organized last year.  They received a lot of praise, but I think I should have served them at a warmer temperature so that it would have been easier to bite through.  A co-worker packed some to take home and told me it goes great with a cup of coffee.
  

Banana Cream Pie with Hazelnut Whipped Cream and Hazelnut Brittle
Banana Cream Pie with Hazelnut Whipped Cream and Hazelnut Brittle:  I've made this several times now as it has become a favorite among my friends  :)  The first time I made this, it was with a vanilla wafer crust.  I thought the crust was a bit plain, so since then I have been using a graham cracker crust.  Unfortunately, I have yet to perfect the graham cracker crust...I've had it come out with too strong of a cinnamon taste, too hard, or too soggy.  I've been able to adjust the flavor of the crust, but now I need to work on the texture and firmness.

Cornflake Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cornflake Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies:  Another favorite and highly requested item.  This cookie has been said to be 'like crack.'  I'm not sure why, but that makes me smile every time.  I think this cookie is a perfect balance of sweet and salty with a great buttery, caramel flavor.  Definitely my absolute favorite cookie.  I first had this in New York City at Milk Bar, a part of David Chang's Momofuku empire.  After having a freshly baked one in NYC, I knew I had to try making this for myself.  So, I went on the hunt and found a copycat recipe online.  I eventually found one with the help of a friend from high school, who also knew of the cookie.  I made some adjustments to the recipe over time, until the flavor brought me back to walking around the city with a cookie in my hand.  Now, I can make my own 'crack'  :p



Lemongrass Bars with Toasted Coconut Shortbread Crust
Lemongrass Bars with Toasted Coconut Shortbread Crust:  A treat with some great hidden flavors!  Most people see this and think it's just a lemon bar; but when they bite into it, they're surprised by a hint of a mystery flavor that they just can't seem to put a finger on-- the lemongrass.  The toasted coconut shortbread also compliments the lemongrass flavor really well.  My first attempt at making this failed on the lemongrass flavor as it was masked by all of the lemon juice.  Since then, I have adjusted the recipe to include more lemongrass.  The only thing that I need to work on is the white, foamy crust that forms on top of the bars.  I've been able to cover up this flaw by dusting some powdered sugar over the tops, but I think this can easily be remedied by straining the mixture before pouring it into my baking pan.




Toasted Coconut and Almond Toffee Chews
Toasted Coconut and Almond Toffee Chews:  I made these as a little welcome home treat, and surprisingly, the recipe does not call for too many ingredients.  I actually just looked up a recipe in one of my cookbooks that called for ingredients that I already had.  I ended up finding a recipe that allowed me to use up my leftover shredded coconut and almond slices.  Baking and pastries can become a bit of an expensive hobby, especially with the prices of things like spices, fruits, and dairy products.  So, I love it when I can cook something without having to go out and buy ingredients or tools.






No comments:

Post a Comment