Monday, November 7, 2011

NYC Eats (part II)

My trip to NYC included a fantastic 3 course lunch at George Mendes' Aldea in the Flatiron District.  Inspired by his travels to Europe and his Portuguese background,  Mendes melds the cuisines of Spain, France, and Portugal to create a Mediterranean flavor all his own.  At $24, the 3 course lunch is a steal, considering the quality of the food, portions, and the excellent service.  For my three courses, I started with a pork and duck terrine, followed by farro risotto, and ending with a fig tart.  Luckily, I was with friends who were willing to order different items and to share their courses, so I was able to taste quite a few different dishes.  I left Aldea perfectly satisfied and eager to try their dinner menu.

Rustic Pork & Duck Terrine (muscat wine gelée, market greens), Farro Risotto (cucumber, orange, mushrooms), and Fig Tart (mascarpone, brûléed figs, spiced walnut ice cream)


Mussel Soup (Yukon Gold potato, fennel, linguica sausage), Skate Wing a la plancha (sweet corn, brown butter, cucumber), and Chocolate Pear Bread Pudding (caramelized almonds, gingersnap ice cream)
 
I also gave David Chang's Momofuku empire another shot.  I figured (more like hoping) my previous experience at Ssäm Bar was a fluke.  This time I went to Noodle Bar, instead.  I've been to Noodle Bar several times before and I've enjoyed each visit.  The experience this time around was no different.  Delicious food, reliable service, and a young, laid back atmosphere.  This was midday snack before an early dinner, so I tried not to fill myself up too much.  Of course, that did not happen :p  I ended up getting a full meal: kimchi, chicken wings, rice cakes, and ramen...my stomach overpowers the will of my mind.

Kimchi Jar
Smoked Chicken Wings
Roasted Rice Cakes
Momofuku Ramen: pork bell, pork shoulder, poached egg

No comments:

Post a Comment